JAKARTA (INDONESIA) – After the earthquake that killed at least 45 people and injured hundreds, Indonesia’s Sulawesi island was hit by aftershocks on Saturday as rescue workers continued their search for people trapped under rubble .
However, Indonesia’s disaster mitigation agency informed that no damage or casualties were reported from the Magnitude 5.0 aftershock in the West Sulawesi districts of Mamuju and Majene.
Agency head Doni Monardo stated that search for those who are trapped under the rubble will continue.
More than 820 people were injured and about 15,000 people have been evacuated, the agency said. Some have sought refuge in the mountains, while others went to cramped evacuation centres, witnesses said.
Friday’s quake and its aftershocks damaged more than 300 homes and two hotels, as well as flattening a hospital and the office of a regional governor, where authorities told Reuters several people had been trapped.
Dwikorita Karnawati, the head of Indonesia’s meteorology and geophysics agency has urged residents to keep out of the water because of the tsunami risk. Dwikorita also spoke of the possibility of another quake that could reach a magnitude of 7.0.